How-to Access Virtual Tutoring via Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is part of your Outlook 365 student email package so every EFSC student has access to Teams for free. Follow the steps below to enter the Academic Success Center (ASC) virtual tutoring environment. You can also review the hours tutoring is available and link to your subject's virtual tutoring classroom from that page.
Please make sure you are using the latest version of Chrome or Microsoft Edge as your web browser.
Choose a Tutoring Subject & Review the How-to Steps Below
- Science (Biology, Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry)
- OR See the Tutoring Schedule & Choose Topic There
- Make an online or face-to-face tutoring appointment using TutorTrac (Optional: you can use the subject links above for drop-in virtual tutoring)
1. Once you've clicked a Tutoring Subject link it will prompt you to open Microsoft Teams. Choose to open it through the web app unless you have downloaded the Windows app.
2. If prompted, follow the steps to log in to your Outlook 365 student email account and wait while your device enters into the ASC Virtual Tutoring area. (Here's a reminder on email log-in if you need it.)
Please note: If you were already logged in to your Outlook 365 student email account when you clicked a subject link, just wait while it redirects you to the Teams area.
3. The first time visiting, you'll need to join the subject's team by clicking the blue "Join" button in the small pop-up box. You can also hover over the team you want to join on the dashboard and click the "Join" button that will appear.
If the dashboard is not showing when you log in, or you want to join an additional subject team, click the "Join or create a team" button next to the small gear icon and that will show the Tutoring teams you have not yet joined.
4. Inside each tutoring team, be sure you are in the "General" channel and use the chat bar at the bottom to "Start a new conversation" and ask for help with a subject. For example, type "I'm here for help with algebra." And if there's a specific ASC tutor you'd like to work with, include that request in your chat.
5. A tutor will reply and move the conversation to a private chat to discuss the tutoring options with you, which include scheduling a private meeting inside Teams. If you so choose, you can either video or audio call with the tutor to discuss your assignment. Remember that Teams is part of your Outlook 365 package, so you'll want to check your Titan student email account frequently for any messages related to virtual tutoring.
6. If your tutoring session requires you to share a document: To send your assignment as an attachment to the tutor while in the call with them, you must first open the chat box. To open the chat, click the button along the bottom that looks like a text bubble. The file you want to share must be in a word processing file format.
7. After you open the chat, you will click on the paperclip icon at the bottom of the chat box to open the file explorer within your computer. Go to the folder in your computer where the file is located and then double click on the file to attach it to the chat. After attaching the file to the chat, you and your tutor can decide which format you would like to use to look at it together. View a PDF about this process.
8. Once you've joined one or more tutoring Teams, you can click the "Teams" button in the blue navigation bar if needed to show the dashboard with your teams — then click the box you want to open it.
9. Here is what the dashboard will look like once you have joined a tutoring team. It's easy to move from team to team by clicking its box.
10. Once you are inside a team and see the General channel where you start a conversation to request tutoring, you can also use the "All Teams" link to return to the dashboard where you can switch to another team you've joined.
The Academic Success Center staff looks forward to seeing you online! We'll get through this together.