Credit by Institutional Exam
Credit by Exam Information: CLEP and DSST
EFSC has resumed on-campus testing with small groups to maintain social distancing and administer tests as safely as possible. On-campus Credit by Exam testing with CLEP and DSST test appointments are currently available at the Melbourne Campus Assessment Center (MCAC) by appointment only Monday or Thursday at 10 AM, 11 AM or 1 PM.
Seating is limited and students are advised to consult with an Academic Advisor to ensure credit by exam is appropriate. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) are nationally recognized Credit by Exam programs. CLEP is a subject area exam that gives the student credit for a specific class or classes. Depending on the subject, a student may receive anywhere from 3 to 16 hours of credit. College credits are awarded by passing scores on CLEP and DSST tests.
Under EFSC safety protocols, masks or other facial coverings are required inside Campus buildings and throughout all test administrations. No locker space will be provided, so testers should not bring personal items such as wallets, hats and cell phones to the testing centers. Only a photo ID and car keys should be brought to the Assessment Center as all necessary testing supplies are provided.
Melbourne Campus Assessment Center (MCAC - Melbourne Building 10, Room 218, 321-433-5879)
You can call for information but registration cannot be completed over the phone. You should review the
Candidate Information about both tests on their websites: CLEP Test Information or DSST Information. You should also review all the bullet points below before registering or making an appointment.
Seating is offered at the Melbourne Campus Assessment Center at 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, and 1:00 PM on Mondays and Thursdays. Seats fill quickly on a first come, first served basis.
Appointments are scheduled via the RegisterBlast online system, which is available for self-service scheduling 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will display all available seats. Students have the ability to cancel their test appointment or reschedule up to 24 hours in advance of the appointment. All required test fees must be paid via RegisterBlast with a credit card and a small handling fee at the time the test is scheduled. There are no refunds for appointment No Shows.
- The CLEP test fee of $89 is paid at the My Account portal on the College Board website
with a credit card. A Test Ticket (valid for 6 months) will be issued to the student.
Candidates must create a personal CLEP account.
Through that My Account registration portal, students may purchase a CLEP exam 24/7, manage their personal account at any time prior to taking the exam, search for test centers, select their score recipient institution(s), and purchase study materials.
- The CLEP exam must be purchased first and the Test Ticket ID number MUST be entered during the online RegisterBlast EFSC appointment scheduling process.
- There is a $25 (plus small handling fee) non-refundable EFSC service fee for the administration of each CLEP or DSST test, payable at the RegisterBlast site when scheduling your test appointment.
- EFSC is an Open Test site, so any student may register to take the CLEP and DSST tests at the College.
- Unofficial CLEP scores are provided at the conclusion of testing with the exception of College Composition. Official test scores may take 2-3 weeks for credits to be posted to the EFSC transcript. College Composition scores may take up to 4 weeks for posting.
- The DSST test fee of $85 is paid at the testing workstation at the EFSC Assessment Center test session via credit card only.
- Students must produce appropriate identification for admission to testing. The ID must be a valid (not expired) government-issued ID with photo and signature (State Driver's License, Military ID or Passport). Name on ID must match that of the registered test candidate.
- External calculators are not permitted during CLEP exams. Calculators are provided within the computer exam.
- Graphing calculators are used in the CLEP Calculus and Precalculus examinations. Scientific (nongraphing) calculators are used in the CLEP Chemistry, College Algebra, and College Mathematics examinations. You are expected to know how and when to make appropriate use of the calculator. Get more information about the graphing calculator and download a trial version.
- DSST test and study information can be located at the DSST website. DSST calculators are permitted in the following exams: Business Math, Fundamentals of College Algebra, Computing and Information Technology, Personal Finance, Principles of Finance, and Principles of Statistics.
- View more details on EFSC's RegisterBlast online appointment scheduling system.
Military Sponsored Exams
Active military test takers are issued Uniformed Services Geneva Convention Common Access Cards (CAC).
Spouses and Civil Service Civilian employees of eligible branches of the U.S. Military are issued Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card or DoD Guard and Reserve Family Member Identification and Privilege Cards. While the ID policy states that the identification presented by test-takers must have a signature and picture, these military IDs may contain electronic signatures.
DSST eligible test takers who present the above identification cards, or any card that meets Military ID requirements as listed on the DSST Eligibility Chart are not required to submit a secondary form of identification per the updated CLEP identification policy.